Thursday, November 15, 2007

Videogame Music

One of the things that brought the joy of gaming to me was listening to old videogame tunes. I thought my fate was sealed and it had little to do with videogames. They brought me back. I was studying animation away from home, everyone thought I was happy, even myself. My goal was to be in an independent videogame team and help them develop games while I was there. Finish my degree with a few games to show, or at least some art that could be used in videogames.

I love videogames and after the first semester without playing due to the hard work and parallel projects, I snapped. I had to play and I had to be informed about what was going on. I got a second hand Nintendo DS and a few games. I figured out it was the only way to make the most of my waking hours. It was awesome for a while, then the second semester began.

Every shred of free time was snatched from my hands and I could do nothing to stop it. If you know me you already know that when I make something I give it my best. I wanted to finish my degree and be on a different level. I wanted to shine and I wanted to prove my parents I had made a wise choice on the degree. All my time was sucked into the degree.

No free time and soon my sleeping hours began to disappear. Just too much work. The only way I could contact with games was to do it while I was working and also in some of the most practical classes. Music was my way to fix that. I knew podcasts were a vehicle of it, so I searched around. They helped me to work and they helped me to rest.

They helped me.

They helped me to make a choice. Nintendo and videogame music helped me to better understand myself. Demoscene was quite important too, but that will be the subject of a few posts to come.

For Videogame music check these, they might just trigger something in you:
http://www.ocremix.org/
http://www.vgdj.net/
http://www.eightecs.com/infinitegamemusic/

2 comments:

Vlad said...

Hey! Gratz on the blog. Let me be the first one to poke a comment on this!

Sometimes is tough to know where we are and where we wanna go. But the main is to make decisions. Doesn't matter if you go wrong from time to time, if you don't decide, you'll stay put.

Hope everything goes well. :)

Raistlin said...

Hey! Yes, decisions are quite important, I just didn't realize they were crucial up to now. Now my will is strong and as you see, I made this to show everyone it's not that impossible.

I hope it proves to be useful to someone. :)