Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Videogame-related Events

What better way to get some answers from people from the industry than really asking them face to face?

If you're really interested in making videogames I advise you to use your free time looking for information and answers and most of all actually making your own projects, be it art or programming. I have written about the importance of online forums and learning with them but if you play your cards right you can get an insane amount of information in a videogame-related event.

I have only been in a few and only one of them was relatively serious but I tried to get the best of it. I believe I succeded. There you can get information about the skills you need to get the kind of job you want, you can deliver portfolios and business cards. You can go to the company's booths and ask them a few questions.

Also, booth babes.

One of the best parts is realizing it's not impossible. Those guys aren't superheroes, they are people. They have a sense of humor and they love games. They may work at one of the coolest game companies and still get excited about a game their rivals released. Most of them took a chance and that's why they are there.

I want to be there. If you want it too try to go to every game-related fair you can.

Good luck.

2 comments:

Vlad said...

You only went to one serious event? I wonder if you would have gone to the serious one if you didn't went to at least a couple of others before that, but hey, that's just me...

Raistlin said...

Maybe I should have used another word.

I have been to a few national events that are considered big in a national scale but small in an international one. The "serious" one is the only internacional I have been to.

Perhaps it only means it's the first one I have attended in a serious mood, really wanting to make most of it.