Monday, October 6, 2008

inérciaDemoparty2005 in 2008 report

Well well here we are again! InérciaDemoparty was a blast and hopefully this post will prove it.


I left my house at about 13:00 or so in order to meet zeroshift in Lisbon so we could do some finishing touches on the demo we were doing for Inércia. The sideways head-bobbing animation was born here to much enthusiasm.

The trip lasted longer than I expected. We left later than we had planned (21:00?) and made a detour to pick up another scener and some pizzas, plus another stop for caffeine. We had plenty to talk about for the whole tour.

We got lost inside Porto while looking for two things at the same time: inércia and a bathroom.

At about 4:00 we got to the partyplace. Khozmic, Filami and Kazuya started finishing their demo and just wouldn't stop for anything so that got me curious. It looked great.


Didn't sleep in that first night because I would regret it later.

The next day came rather quickly, along with a lot of extra sceners. We had lunch at a Pizza Hut (I see a pattern here) followed by the afternoon activities.

The first one was the GameDev-PT Show & Tell, a really interesting idea that worked well. Several members from GameDev-PT organized themselves and showed work they had done and thought it was interesting to everyone. It really was.


Afterwards it was time for a Blender introduction workshop by zeroshift. It's a really interesting program and I was there to see its features. It's free so check it out.

After a McDonald's fueled dinner (I hate it but the idea of eating pizza for the third time in a row was bothering me more than those things) we got back to the partyplace and after a -traditional- delay the compos started.


The first one was the combined graphics compo, where my image was so confusing it crashed ps' Mac. Next, the music compo. I did an all-nighter the night before and the low lights and soothing songs made me regret it a bit.

Demo compo time, the moment we were all waiting for.

There were five productions. First up was vs* with a Processing demo that was nice though a little too procedural-looking for my taste. Next it was Jae's turn with a GP2X demo, one of the shortest I have ever seen but it was enjoyable. After that was Khozmic, Filami and Kazuya's time to shine with their demo. It looked really great but for some reason it ran rather slowly on EviL's laptop.

...and this was it. After following the demoscene for a while this was the time to see the first demo I ever worked on grace the bigscreen. The crowd was surprised by the name (and I was surprised they didn't know it yet) and a bit later they were laughing really loud, which lasted through the demo as new scenes were being shown.

I was really proud of it.


Then, a really stylish animation by Kamikaze_Tutor (dude, sometimes I don't know wich nickname to use) was shown. I like it a lot.

A while later it was time to sleep.


5 hours later I woke up. Once again sleeping on the ground didn't make my back hurt at all. I think sleeping at demoparties regenerates me a lot more than sleeping under "normal" conditions.


Healthy conversations, breakfasts and some demos later, the results were announced. Zeroshift won the combined graphics compo, there were no awards given on the music compo and on the demo compo our demo won first place! Here it is!

Packed, took a picture and got back. It was quicker this time.



I slept from 24:00 to 12:00 today. I'm ready for the next one!

7 comments:

xernobyl said...

Good report.

DiogoNeves said...

Dude, really nice report!!!
I'm wondering why do you call me Khozmic... but that's fine ;)

Congrats for your demo! It is really great! You and zero make a great team! RESPECT!

PS: I have to buy a camera!!!!

Raistlin said...

Sorry kosmic, I think I saw it written like that somewhere (gamercard?) and it got me confused up until now.

Thank you, the demo was really fun to do and I would like to do some more of them. I have a few ideas on paper already.

I loved the way people reacted to it!

Filipe 'ps' Cruz said...

glad you had fun :)

Jorge said...

algum motivo para estar toda a gente a falar estrangeiro? :)

anyways :) espero que te tenhas divertido. conto encontrar-vos todos na próxima.

Marco said...

its because the interwebs is foreign.

pá curti larguete. só achei que a nossa demo correr lento realmente foi um bocado anticlimático, mas acho que voces ganharam merecidamente. a vossa demo era muito mais enjoyable.
a do crymx estranhamente tem mais piada no projector estragado do que visto mesmo num monitor jeitoso. eu pelo menos achei.

TIL NEXT YEAR!!!!!! :D

Raistlin said...

Bem, eu escrevo isto em inglês para poder ser útil a mais pessoas. Quando comecei o blog o objectivo era outro mas continuei com esta coisa.

...mas pensando bem entre portugueses não faz muito sentido!

Obrigado pelos elogios em relação à demo, fiquei cheio de vontade de fazer mais. No pouet é que não acharam muita piada àquilo. Acho que ficaram meio mimados a partir da Popular Demo. Não se pode agradar a todos.