Sunday, November 16, 2008

Portable programs


I found something cool today and I'd like to share it with you guys. It's free.

I don't know if you know portable programs but the name is pretty self-explanatory. These are programs you can use without an installation process. This means you can carry them around in any data storage medium and use when needed.

I've had issues opening exotic format files in other prople's computers, or trying to open videos encoded with strange codecs and this makes these things a lot more interesting.

This website developed a system wich allows users to integrate those programs in an easy to use interface, which helps if you want to teach a computer newbie to use it. The basic platform lets you build your own little system and add or remove programs at your will, making it as heavy as you want it to be.

Honestly, after trying it for a while I thought I don't really need all that and just kept the executables I thought were useful. Bye platform but hellooo programs.

The programs I found are web browsers, internet messengers, image editing software, games (of course!), openoffice, media players with several codecs, file compressors, pdf readers and editors. There's also a portable version of Blender if you're interested. Here's some more.

It's pretty nice, I feel like I have a digital swiss army knife now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi how are you? I was looking through your blog and found it interesting to me.

I have a blog also here in Southern California at San Diego, I would like it if you stopped by and visited my art site.

I have music videos that I like and labels with various artistic styles, writing, all kinds of fun stuff like any other blog, however, I have an international audience and would like to include you also....

I hope to hear from you soon... :)

Raistlin said...

Hey thank you for your comment. This blog isn't updated as often as most blgos because I only tend to post when I have something to say. :)

Raistlin said...

*blogs