Monday, November 26, 2007

Learning from books

Today a book I ordered from Amazon arrived. It's about creating 3D models for games from sketch to rigs and normal maps. This has reminded me that I should probably talk about learning from books.

In my humble opinion a book is good as long as you commit yourself to it. If you don't take it seriously you aren't going to learn. It can even be the best book ever written and it just won't work.

You can also learn from the internet and the same rules apply. The major difference is that a book can gather most of the topics you need and a tutorial can talk about a subject only. This means you will probably need a tutorial per subject and there's a high chance at least one of the tutorials is about a previous or newer version of the program and one of the tools will be in a different place. A book like this can help you from the start of your project to finish and you don't need to be looking at a screen the entire time.

I mean, after writing this I will pick it up, go downstairs and enjoy a quiet evening near the fireplace, learning and resting my eyes. How good does it sound?

Pretty good to me.

No comments: