Sunday, November 18, 2007

Old-school Videogames and me

I was lucky to start playing videogames at an early age but I missed a lot of the now-called old-school classic videogames. I was paying attention to them, though. Watching some videogame-related tv shows, reading magazines and talking to my friends kept me up to date on the new ones.

I loved when we visited a friend or relative which had a videogame console or cool PC games. I ignored everything else and played it with its owner. This may seem unsensitive and maybe it is, but it was the chance to play the Super Mario and Sonic games (my favorite ones at the time).

At home I played SimCity (yes, the first one!), Supaplex, Rodent and another videogame about the Olympic games on the PC. It was nice, but they weren't my favorite games. I wanted to play something from Sega, or Nintendo! Those guys delivered good games that hooked me right from the start. They created characters that looked cool and videogames that seemed long and fun.

When I was introduced to the Game Boy and the Game Gear my brain almost couldn't handle the excitement. I couldn't handle the cost, either. When I learned the price and counted my savings, it remained a dream.

When I got my first Game Boy Pocket for my birthday, my life changed.

3 comments:

Vlad said...

Reading this made me feel old. Basically because the old-school games you write about are not the "real" old-school to me.

Oh well... :)

Raistlin said...

I wrote it that way on purpose. Those are my old-school games, the first ones I remember. :)

Luís said...

My first sight of video game console was a gameboy (in my 3ºGrade), but my first console was a genesis... oh the time .. Streets of Rage, Sonics (2, Knuckles and 3D), Lion King( LOL , mythic isn't it ?)

Played a bit of Contra in my neighbour NES

Then the PlayStation .. oh the good times , Crash Bandicut, Final Fantasy, Ghost in The Shell, Spyro, Silent Bomber.. etc (and I still play it, in the PC :P, although the hardware still works)