Thursday, December 27, 2007

Family's reactions to this

A while ago I was wondering wether I should quit the degree I was taking or just bear with it and put my dreams on a shelf. As you can see I chose my dreams over a diploma. This may sound romantic and it actually is, but there's a downside to it and that is having to tell the same story over and over again, mainly to friends and family.

This happens all the time with almost everything I do but this time it's a bit more serious. Decisions like these shape the rest of my life, they close some doors and open others. Some make sense and others don't. Some seem they don't make much sense and a while later they do, like working as a mascot, dressed like a big orange seahorse near the beach.

Most of the times after telling the same story a few times I lose the love of telling it, I change my mind but tell it the same way, realizing I don't feel the same about it. I try not to make it too obvious though. The people who know me better have noticed I changed the way I talked about that degree, the most attentive ones know I stopped talking about it in the same way after I spent a while there. Part of my family was happy knowing I was taking a degree and studying near the place they were born and I didn't want to disappoint them.

They had no idea about my main interests. I don't talk that openly to them because most of the time I would be talking about topics they know nothing about. This has been going on for years now. This Christmas I only asked for money to help paying the London course. Now they know it's real. They agreed and instead of getting a book, videogame or DVD I got an envelope. Well, four envelopes by now.

Most of them are afraid everything might go wrong but they support me still. It's great and I like repeating stories about this new path over and over again. Sorry about it. I am not losing any enthusiasm right now. I take it as a really good thing.

No comments: