Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Second pen is over


...tomorrow.

I thought it would be today but as this is "NURBS week" we reviewed something about NURBS I had already written about in the notebook. I don't find NURBS interesting and learning more about them is showing me that they are even less useful than I thought (because when you render them they are tesselated in triangles, so they don't look as smooth as a purely organic shape) and polygons make a lot more sense to me.

I have picked up the two models I was making after classes a couple of times last week. I simply can't complete them. I can't work on them on week days. Not after spending about seven hours a day in front of Maya. As much as I like the program and want do spend my life working on it, I can't do it all day, all the time. I really like the models and I would like to finish them and begin some new ones but it seems I really give out all of my daily awareness to the classes. I pay a lot of attention and keep asking questions and taking notes while doing what Gideon is doing in Maya. I feel like I have to take the most of them and this is the result. Brain drain.
When I get home I can't do anything that strains my brain so I have been watching Rurouni Kenshin and the X-Files.

I still hope I can take care of them in the weekends. At least the school projects we'll do in two weeks will be nice addictions to my portfolio but I still want to create some more. Also, the whole "Games" part of the course will have some interesting results.

4 comments:

Luís said...

Some people use NURBS for vehicle modelling... but i don't understand a thing of that. Ahh my sweet polygons :)

Raistlin said...

Yeah, they do. It produces "more organic shapes" but if it renders through polys then it is just a workflow issue. You can add subdivisions to your polys an ta-daaa smoothness. It's basically their process too anyway.

Tadeu_o_fartador said...

i also learned that when learning XSI so far it has been useless. But in movie industry it is really usefull since the uvw coordinates are way better handled or something, meh who cares. Keep it up kiddo !

Raistlin said...

I have been doing my best. =)

I actually think you're talkind about SubD surfaces that are between NURBS and polys in mote than a few ways. Those actually have faces so you can uv map them and they can create orgnic shapes too.