Thursday, January 24, 2008

Accents

Ever since I heard the first british person talking in my way here I thought "Well, I might as well try to mimic the accent so they understand me better" and sometimes I do. Just some words, actually. It must sound really weird for them. Some sentences have the accent right or partially right and some of them are way off, some just stray near the end - it really depends on the mood. So far I have been understood.

Let's hear my english in two months and see if it has evolved. Right now I can tell it's more fluid. I can speak way faster and pick the right words most of the time. When I can't fix a sentence I go back, like resetting it. It works.

Despite all my efforts to blend in, having three portuguese classmates creates some awkward situations where we start talking in portuguese to one another. Sometimes it's faster, sometimes the perfect expression for it is in portuguese ("foleiro" por exemplo!) and I believe sometimes we just need to hear some more people speaking in portuguese.

I asked a classmate how portuguese language sounds to them and he said it sounds like Russian. I guess it's the way we say the "R" or something.

[edit:] Well, I asked another classmate and she said it sounds nothing like russian. She couldn't find a language that sounds like portuguese but she said spanish sounds way different. She's amazed how we can figure out most of what they're saying.

2 comments:

Luís said...

And if we sound russian, a russian to us must sound like .. Chinese ? LOL

Raistlin said...

I told him I can't understand a word of the russian language!