Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Chapter 3


I am writing this on the end of the second day of the course. Why is that? Because yesterday I stayed up for hours redoing what we did earlier. I did a Half-Life 2-looking set with the essencial props (models and UVs). That's right, wall, door, ground, crates and barrels. Twice. Long but rewarding first day.

It was the first time I felt comfortable with UV mapping. Finally.

Today was texture day. We only did the texture for the barrels but tomorrow we'll do the spec and at least try to do the rest of the set. I learned a lot new tricks in Photoshop. We were so interested in it that neither the teacher or us realized it was an hour past exit time already.

The class is full and this time I'm the only portuguese. The guy who came from furthest away is australian. The rest is one cool guy I knew from Core, some Sony fanboys and a guy who wants to work in architectural visualization (yeah, weird - but I actually think the future of architectural visualization will shift from static pre-rendered images to real-time "visits" to the buildings in game engines though).

On related news, seven of the previous Games Escapees passed the first test to get into Rare today. This doesn't mean they will end in there for sure, but it's definitely a good sign.

No comments: