Monday, May 5, 2008

Wobsite


Sorting out my priorities once again. What do I really need? Work done, to show and to practice. I also need a website in that I can direct people to, somewhere where they can see what I can do.

So I set off for the cheapest and quickest way to get a website online. Checked out several things like hosts and Joomla! but Vlad said in my case Flash makes more sense and he's right. It's not the best thing for a site like this, but it is a program I already feel familiar with. I basically just need a clean wall where I can hang the best things I have done and will continue to do. Better to start now so I have it done and polished when I need it the most.

Flash it is then.

7 comments:

"C.G." said...

And Vlad is right. Flash is not a recommended tool for certain kinds of websites, like those who are viewed by a large audience that may or may not have Flash Reader, and the website's purpose is quick access to information (news websites, FAQs, Wiki-like, etc).

But for portfolio sites, if you know how to turn your way with Flash, then go for it. Good luck!

Vlad said...

Exactly my thoughts when I spoke with Manuel. Besides, most browsers provide flash plug-in pre-installed.

A great retro idea is the website from my associate Marco Vale. He used flash to a simple, quick and fun portfolio and I think he is happy with it.

http://www.marcovale.com

Check it out. :)

Raistlin said...

I spent the day drawing interfaces on paper and I think I got to a design that is useful and simple. We'll see how it goes.

Marco's portfolio site is awesome, it is something I had already though as something cool and he gave it the videogame touch with the pixelart aesthetics. I often talk about it as a reference of a good presentation. You're right, it's fun. This is something that didn't occur to me in a portfolio.

I had to think of something different for mine, in order to make it something unique or at least close to it.
Thanks for the support!

Vlad said...

Didn't you show me a flash portfolio about a year ago? If I recall correctly, it was very nice and clean.

Raistlin said...

It's true, I made one for the London fair but It's a bit too complicated and heavy for the web. 7mbs in one unique load is a bit too much and splitting it into pieces would take as long as making this new one.

Thanks for the compliment though. :)

Tadeu_o_fartador said...

dude i still think you are thinking on something that right now doesnt matter, it only makes sense to have a website if you have work to show, and it has to be considerably decent,so right now wrok on your art and thats it, dont worry about website and accesory stuff etc, to show wips get a simple index and drop stuff there.

Raistlin said...

tadeu, you're right.