Saturday, January 12, 2008

R.I.P. SegaWorld

A few years ago I was studying English in Azambuja. Every year near Easter (i think) they organized a trip to somewhere in the UK. Going there was not the main point of interest for me.

For me the coolest things about actually going there were:
-Travelling by airplane for the first time
-Checking if those English guardsmen weren't realistic statues with silly hats
-Having the chance of being the first person to meet the Loch Ness monster
-Spending a few days with my friends and colleagues in an informal environment
-Having the chance to go to SEGAWORLD!

Needless to say it would always be an expensive trip so I never went on one. The desire of going to SegaWorld came back every year. It faded when they chose to go to Scotland (happened a few times). I thought things like "When I grow up I'll go to SegaWorld once a year" because Sega was my favorite videogame company at the time (Nintendo was a close second) and I imagined all sorts of amazing things would be inside, like being able to play on the arcades for free or even Virtual Reality! It was my Disneyland.

I never saw pictures of it and I wasn't sure it actually existed but I trusted the guy who told me.

When the Sega Dreamcast was officially extinct the company still continued to develop games. It kept on making games and Sonic still popped up sometimes (most of the times I wish he didn't, but there were a couple of good games). It even went as far as joining Mario and Sonic in "Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games" recently.

In October I came to London mainly for London Game Career Fair so I wasn't here in a tourist trip. I got a free day before the flight but I used it to go to Escape Studios talk to Joseph and it led me to where I am now. I didn't check anything on SegaWorld but I hoped it was still there.

Yesterday I was beginning to face the weekend as some time to check this part of the city and I remembered to check it out on the internet. If you want to read about it ckeck here. Though I expected it to have disappeared by now some part of me wanted it to still be there. I never got to visit it. Neither did I ever have a Sega Console.

3 comments:

Luís said...

I had a megadrive (or genesis) but my worked pretty bad, and eventually die .. but was good while it last, pity the games were pretty expensive for a kid to buy them, only had like .. 3 games, so i'm a more a plastation boy, but sonic the hedgehog was my favourite game ever, from 1 to the first 3D, god bless the emulators :)
There were Streats Of Rage, LionKing(come on who haven't play it), Vector Man, UMK3, Shinning Force 2, Phantasy Star ..

Raistlin said...

Sonic was the most badass thing I'd ever seen until Knuckles appeared and MAN was Knuckles an even biger badass! That Sonic 3D thing was clever, faking isometric 3D worked at the time.
Vectorman had really evolved graphics for the time. I only played it this summer.

Streets of Rage is an amazing title still. This summer I spent a few afternoons playing it in co-op. Lion King amazed me because it was the first game in wich I heard a recorded voice (Timon's "It starts..."). I never got to finish Phantasy Star, it was too big.

UMK3 came back to life a month ago by the hands of Other Ocean on the DS.

Pinhas said...

HA! I still have a working 16 bit Sega Mega Drive!!
Sonic 1 is a classic, Sonic and Knuckles was, for so to say, hardcore, Lion King was prety nice.. And there was also Marsupilami, quite a vice.. And don't forget Virtua Racing, the first car game with minimaly realistic driving features!!

Really, those were the days...